Moving into independent living in Oceanside, CA, is a big life decision. Discovering the ideal new home takes plenty of time, effort, and research. If that’s the case, then where are you supposed to begin?
The services and amenities offered by independent living can vary greatly. The majority of facilities provide healthy meals, transportation, housekeeping services, and other activities to keep seniors occupied. But on the other hand, every community has its own special characteristics, staff, and cost.
As you think about the different options available to you, look inward and consider your own desires for your lifestyle, personal wants, and needs. What are your unique “must-haves,” “would likes,” and “can live withouts?” Be sure that the community you choose has everything on your “must-have” list.
With that being said, we’ve also made an independent living checklist for seniors that can shed some light on what to consider regarding amenities and features that you might want to have. Also, you’ll gain insight into the more important questions to ask when you start visiting independent living in Oceanside, CA.
Important Things to Take Into Consideration
When beginning your search, consider your own likes and dislikes as well as your health. For instance, say you have some mobility issues or are wheelchair-bound. In that case, a smaller community might suit you better.
It’s often the case that larger communities entail longer walks to important amenities like the gym or dining area.
If you are a senior that prefers making their own meals, be sure to inquire if the apartments come with kitchens. And if you’re a pet lover, be sure to bring that up as well. You’ll want to become well acquainted with the community pet guidelines.
The ultimate goal of independent living in Oceanside, CA, is to create a worry-free and maintenance-free lifestyle for its residents. While amenities and independent living features are designed with ease and simplicity in mind, it’s also important to consider how each of these services can benefit you personally. Take a look at this list of common independent living services and see which ones apply to you the most.
What Activities Are Offered, and How Often Do They Occur?
Most senior communities have a calendar of events and activities that they share with residents every week. You’ll want to know how often these activities occur and if they sound like fun to you.
Or to be more specific, ask them the following questions:
- Do the activities appeal to you personally? Do your interests, habits, and preferences align with them?
- Would the director of activities be willing to take your preferences into account?
- Are friends and family members invited to group activities?
- Are residents invited to help plan out activities?
- Do they have any clubs, religious groups, committees, etc., that you’d be interested in joining?
- Are activities constantly changing, or do they stay the same week after week?
How Do Mealtimes Work?
Many independent living in Oceanside, CA, offer 3 homemade meals a day plus snacks and drinks. However, you should ask to see a sample menu. Also, ask the following questions to see what other dining options are available:
- Are individual dietary requirements taken into consideration? For instance, low sodium or diabetic-friendly meals? Vegetarian/vegan options?
- Does a nutritionist or dietician work in the community?
- How are the meals served? Cafeteria-style or restaurant-style (sit down tables with staff serving the meals)?
- Are there any rules about cooking in your own apartment? Also, what appliances are already included?
- Are friends and family members welcome to join in for mealtime? And if so, is there an extra cost?
Some residents prefer to let go of their old car to enjoy the benefits of riding in a car without the hassles of maintenance and fuel costs. Of course, a resident may also prefer to keep their car and drive to places as usual.
Ask the following questions to know if the community’s transportation options align with your preferences.
- Are residents allowed to bring their car to their community? And if so, what are the allotted parking spaces per apartment? Do those parking spots come with extra fees?
- What kind of parking is available? Garage parking, carports, outdoor lots, etc.?
- Is free transportation between medical appointments included?
- Are free trips to stores and other activities included? If so, get the specifics on what those stores and activities are.
- Are the community drivers licensed to handle group transport?
Worry-free living and a maintenance-free lifestyle is a huge draw for independent living in Oceanside, CA. After decades of mowing grass and changing light bulbs, most seniors are ready for a more relaxing retirement.
Of course, regular and scheduled room cleanings are included. However, the specifics can vary from community to community. Here are some questions that you’ll want to ask:
- What laundry services are included? Do certain things cost more to clean?
- What is the frequency of housekeeping?
- Where is trash picked up? Will you have to move the bins to the hall, another floor, outside to the curb, etc.?
- How does the maintenance of outdoor areas work? Does each resident maintain their own outdoor space? Or do staff handle that? If it’s dealt with by staff, are residents still able to enjoy working outside if they prefer? You might choose to do activities like planting beds or raking leaves in the autumn – be sure to ask if it’s allowed first.
- How are emergencies handled? Is there someone available 24/7 to take these calls? It’s important to know how you can address possible problems, including electrical, plumbing, personal accidents, etc.
There are more things to consider when trying to find the best independent living in Oceanside, CA. However, these categories of questions offer a good starting point to set you on the right track. It’s all about asking the right questions and having the patience necessary to find the perfect sanctuary for you or your loved one.